Tuesday 20 March 2018

My Cousin's Removed! Is He Ever Coming Back?

You've probably heard the term "first cousin once removed" and wondered, "Does that mean my cousin has been banished from the family?" Happily, no, it doesn't. 

Let's use Phil Culbert and his son, Brad as examples.

Phil Culbert (left) and Brad Culbert (right)

FIRST COUSINS:
A first cousin is the child of a sibling of one of your parents. In other words, a first cousin is the child of your aunt or uncle.



Phil Culbert (above) is my first cousin because his father is my uncle. Phil's father is my father's brother.

Is everybody clear on the concept of first cousin? Then let's move along.

FIRST COUSINS, ONCE REMOVED:
A first cousin once removed is the child of your first cousin. Or the reverse. A first cousin once removed can also be the first cousin of one of your parents.  


Brad Culbert (above) is my first cousin once removed because he is the child of my first cousin, Phil Culbert. 

Got that? Good, because there will be a quiz. Just kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment