Thursday 7 June 2018

Cory James Wozniak

It's my pleasure to introduce Cory James Wozniak, the great-great-great-grandson of John Culbert and Mary Ward.



Cory only recently found out that he's a Culbert! I can hear you exclaiming, "Whaaaaattt?" So let's back this train up and I'll explain.

I recently took the Ancestry DNA test. I hope you'll do the same. When you get the results from your test, you're given a list of "matches." These "matches" are people who are related to you with shared DNA.

When my DNA test results came in, I noticed someone very high on my list, indicating that he's a fairly close relation. My cousin, Phil Culbert has also taken the test. So I asked Phil if Cory was on his "matches" list and Phil said, "yes." I asked Phil, "Who is this guy, Cory? He's closely related to us but I've never heard of him!" Phil had never heard of Cory either.

This is an image from my DNA test that shows Cory is a DNA match with me. Based on the amount of DNA he shares with me, Ancestry categorized him as being in the 1st-2nd cousin range which is correct. Cory is my first cousin, once removed. In other words, Cory is the son of my first cousin.

I contacted Cory and started plying him with questions. (As you know, I can be very nosy although I prefer the word "inquisitive.") I said to Cory, "Apparently, you're a close relative of mine but I don't see any names I recognize in your Ancestry family tree." To which Cory replied, "That's a family tree I created of my adopted family."

Cory didn't know much about his birth parents but he did know that his biological father was a Culbert. 

Cory also knew that his birth parents had lived in Calgary, Alberta where Cory was born on 12 July 1977. 


Naturally, I started making all kinds of assumptions about which of my cousins might be Cory's father. Before I got too carried away with the finger-pointing, Cory found his birth document with the name of his biological father: Jon Arthur Culbert.

Jon Arthur Culbert is my first cousin! Cory didn't know anything else about his biological father, Jon Culbert and I don't actually know very much about Jon either.

Jon Arthur Culbert, born 1954 in London, Ontario was the son of Earl Culbert (1929-1994) and the grandson of Myron Culbert (1884-1961.) Jon grew up in London but at some point he moved to Calgary.

Jon Culbert died in 2013. I have no memories of Jon, even though he's my first cousin. If any of you have any memories of Jon to share with Cory or any photos of Jon, please contact me.

Fortunately, Cory was adopted into a loving home in Calgary. (Thank you, Mr. & Mrs. Wozniak!) 

Cory now lives in Sacramento, California with his wife, Alyson; son, Carter; and daughters, Claire and Kate.

Back, left to right: Carter and Cory. Front, left to right: Kate, Alyson, and Claire.

We don't know if Jon Culbert ever knew that he had a son but now Cory is a part of our Culbert family.

Please join me in welcoming Cory James Wozniak and his family to the Culbert family!

Cory James Wozniak's Family Tree:

Ancestors:
John Culbert & Mary Ward (great-great-great-grandparents)
Richard Culbert & Jane Fairhall (great-great-grandparents)
Myron Culbert & Effie Taylor (great-grandparents)
Earl Culbert (grandfather)
Jon Arthur Culbert (father)

Descendants: (children)
Carter Wozniak
Claire Wozniak
Kate Wozniak

No comments:

Post a Comment