Friday 22 June 2018

Henry "Harry" Dagg: Card Shark

In the previous post, I reported that Eliza Culbert and her husband, Richard Dagg had several children and all but one married. His name was Henry "Harry" Dagg.
 
Henry "Harry" Dagg (c1856-1934)

He was born around 1856 in Biddulph Township, not far from the Culbert homestead.

He's often confused with other Henry/Harry Daggs who lived in the same area at the same time. Note to genealogists: This is not the same Harry Dagg who married Martha Conley. Our Harry Dagg remained single all his life.

Harry died in Kincardine of acute bronchitis in 1934. He was 77. He's buried with his parents in an unmarked grave in Kincardine Cemetery. Harry and his parents share a plot with his brother, Robert Wellington Dagg, who does have a headstone.

But what about all that time in between? He was a farm labourer but we know little else about him. However, this quote from his nephew's daughter, "Toots" sums up Harry's character...

"Enjoyed cards.....known as a "card shark". On his death, Jen Westell put a deck of cards in his coffin with him. Chewed tobacco on a regular basis."
--Quote from Susan Lorena "Toots" (Westell) Jarrell, daughter of Jen Westell.

Henry "Harry" Dagg's family tree:
Ancestors of Henry "Harry" Dagg:
John Culbert & Mary Ward (grandparents) 

Elizabeth "Eliza" Culbert & Richard Dagg (parents)

2 comments:

  1. Hello I’m Mary Lorena Dagg granddaughter. I was actually named after her. I’m Lorena Grace MacJanet. My father was Garnet Franklin MacJanet. He was the youngest child of Mary MacJanet. I believe I have the remaining names in the family photo. My father has that picture in his genealogy. If you already have their names that’s wonderful. If you want to reach out you can. My emai is lmacjanet@outlook.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. I'll be in touch soon.

    ReplyDelete