Thursday 24 October 2019

Happy Birthday, Wendy Reid!

Happy birthday to Wendy Lyn (Schloendorf) Reid born 24 October 1965. 
Wendy and her husband, Ken with their daughter Jacqueline's paintings in the background.
I'm going to turn this over now to Wendy, and she can tell you a little about herself...


Left to right: Wendy's sister, Kim (Schloendorf) Gillies; Wendy's father, Earl Schloendorf, Wendy's mother Vicky (Culbert) Schloendorf; and Wendy (Schloendorf) Reid. Photo taken at the Schloendorf home in Grand Bend, Ontario in August, 2015 by Mary Jane Culbert.
I was born 54 years ago in London, Ontario, Canada to Earl Schloendorf and Vicky (Culbert) Schloendorf, and I have one younger sister, Kim (Schloendorf) Gillies

Many of my summers were spent at our boat in Port Franks, Ontario and in later years, we would vacation in Grand Bend and Florida. Not surprisingly, mom and dad, and Kim and her family now reside in Grand Bend.  

Grand Bend, northwest of Lucan, Ontario on the shores of Lake Huron.
When I was in Grade 4, I received my guitar and learned to play by ear.  I would perform for family and friends, singing along as I played.  I still have the guitar, but have not played it for decades.

I remember Christmas mornings having to wait for my dad to go to pick up Bompa (Ivan Culbert) before we could open our presents. He was a huge part of my life until he passed and was buried on my 13th birthday in Lucan. I remember trying to reteach him how to read and write after his stroke. Bompa suffered from gout, which caused him a lot of pain and swelling in his feet. Quite often, he would be in slippers instead of shoes. We have a picture of him with a slipper-tan on his feet!  I don’t have any memories of him or Nana (Elvira Hutchings) before their strokes.
Wendy Schloendorf with her grandparents, Ivan and Elvira Culbert.
When I was almost old enough for a job, I would work for dad’s second company during many summers. This continued for years including while I was working full-time for other employers. I would take vacation time and work on weekends to support the family business.

In 1983, I met my husband and best friend, Ken Reid at a dance in Bayfield. He was born and raised in Goderich, Ontario (right on Lake Huron). 

Bottom left to top left: Grand Bend, Bayfield, and Goderich.

In 1985, I moved to Goderich and my first apartment while Ken finished college in Hamilton, and began his full-time job as a tool and die maker in Goderich. He is now semi-retired, working every other week. He’s like our son and has to have something to do all the time, so he’s not quite ready to have all day, every day to fill on his own. Ken is an avid cyclist and enjoys all outdoor activities including camping, kayaking, fishing, hunting, skiing, golfing and spending time at the beach. 

We were married on June 14th, 1986.



We had two children. Jacqueline was born in 1987 and Scott in 1989.  No parent could be more proud of their children’s accomplishments.
Wendy and Ken's children, Scott and Jacqueline Reid at the home of their grandparents, Earl Schloendorf & Vicky (Culbert) Schloendorf in Grand Bend, 2015. Photo by Mary Jane Culbert.

The Reid Family left to right: Scott, Wendy, Jacqueline, and Ken
We devoted our lives to our children while they lived at home.  We spent summers camping, spending weekends away in Niagara Falls, and vacationing at a resort in Huntsville for years. Both kids were involved in travelling sports which took us all over Ontario and beyond. Ken was always on the bench while Scott played hockey and both of us coached their baseball and soccer teams. I was a Brownie leader while Jacqueline was a Brownie. We vacationed at Disney in Florida, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, and now that the “kids” have lives of their own, we go to the Dominican Republic every year as a family. Nothing brings me more joy than to spend time with my family.
Jacqueline lives in Kitchener, Ontario and has a Bachelor of Professional Arts Degree. She is currently working as the Activity Director at a retirement community, and she teaches at Conestoga College on a contract basis. In her spare time, she is an accomplished painter, she plays the piano (Culbert genes at work!), and she also models. She lives with her boyfriend and her rabbit, Heisenberg and cat, Gizmo.
Jacqueline Reid with her paintings.
Scott has a Bachelor Degree in Software Engineering and is currently working in Kitchener, Ontario. He is very active in anything that involves outdoor activity, especially back country camping in his canoe with his girlfriend and dog, rock climbing, kayaking, golfing, skiing, ultimate frisbee, hiking, road cycling, mountain biking, ice hockey; and just about anything else that can cause serious bodily harm.
Scott Reid climbing the Black Corridor at Red Rock Canyon in Nevada's Mojave Desert.

I spent many years volunteering for the Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals which involved fostering many cats, kittens and orphaned kittens. The orphaned kittens were my favourite.  There is nothing cuter than a kitten holding a little bottle and suckling as their ears twitch in rhythm. 

This volunteer position led me to a career with the Ontario S.P.C.A. as an Investigator, where I earned the distinction of Agent of the Year during my third year on the job. I always had an interest in the law, and this job incorporated law and my love of animals. My stubbornness came in handy when in deliberations with the accused (is that a Culbert trait?). I obtained convictions for every case I laid charges on which helped to keep me going with this career choice. During the last few years, I was promoted to Inspector and was responsible for a large region in Ontario and all of the Agents in those areas.

I retired in June 2018, and have spent the past year enjoying my hobbies of reading, knitting, camping, spending time at our beach, and spending more time with my family and my remaining cat, Munchie.
Now that the retirement years are upon us, we find ourselves planning more vacations. We have been vacationing in the Dominican Republic for many years, and have several trips booked for this winter. It’s our favourite place to visit, so far.  With more time to fill now, we hope to broaden our scope of travel. Maybe we’ll find ourselves in Ireland one day!
Wendy (Schloendorf) Reid's Family Tree:
Ancestors:
John Culbert & Mary Ward (3x-great-grandparents)
Richard Culbert & Jane Eleanor Fairhall (2x-great-grandparents)
Myron Manford Culbert & Effie Pearl Taylor (great-grandparents)
Ivan Hector Culbert & Elvira Hutchings (grandparents)
Victoria "Vicky" Culbert & Earl Schloendorf (parents)
Descendants (Children): 
Jacqueline Nicole Reid
Scott William Reid

No comments:

Post a Comment