Friday 25 January 2019

Remembering Helen (Needham) Culbert

This tribute to Helen (Needham) Culbert (wife of Ken Culbert), was written by her daughter, Mary-Lynn Culbert.


January 25th would have been my mother’s 101st birthday.  She passed away just two months shy of this landmark, on November 20th, 2018.  While I grieve her loss, I am comforted knowing that she was ready to embark on her next journey.  

Helen came into a world without so many things we take for granted today.  And she lived long enough to see the world utterly transform around her in ways she could never have imagined.  Her life was filled with many challenges, love, loss, accomplishment, triumph, roads not taken, and some great adventures.  She faced it all with courage, a curious mind, and a wicked wit.  
 

She taught me to appreciate the beauty of ordinary things; to understand that everything is made better by a good meal; to know that anything can be endured if you keep a sense of humor; to realize that women are the strongest things on earth; to be good to myself.   


It’s a strange thing to realize we will all, baring accident, eventually be orphans in this world.  Yet we are never alone, because we carry forward within us the collective experience of all those ancestors who came before.  I know that my mother’s life will continue to inform and shape my own for as long as I live.  While she can no longer travel by my side, she will always be in my heart.  And I will be a stronger, better person for her presence.

Helen (Needham) Culbert and her daughter, Mary-Lynn Culbert, 2010 in Calgary. Photo by Paul Ciglen.

3 comments:

  1. Mary-Lynn, This is a wonderful tribute to your mother. My condolences to you and your family. I continue to enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, I'll tell my cousin Mary-Lynn about your comment. I was very touched by this tribute she wrote for my blog. Mary-Lynn's mother, Helen was a wonderful woman.
      - Mary Jane

      Delete
  2. Mary-Lynn,
    I knew your mother as Helen, Greg's mom and she did have a wicked wit
    You did a great job on the Family History

    I remember when Greg would take you to the park on Bayviw Ave to engage girls that was funny but I am sure at your age it was all good fun with your big brother Greg

    Life is funny

    Wayne

    ReplyDelete