Monday 18 February 2019

Second Cousins

Many of you have asked, "What's a second cousin?"


To answer that question, I've recruited my second cousin, Pat Rowell to be our example...


My 2nd cousin, Patricia "Pat" (Gowland) Rowell.
Pat and I share a set of great-grandparents: Richard Culbert & Jane Fairhall. However, we don't share the same set of grandparents.

Pat's grandmother (Hulda May Culbert) and my grandfather (Myron Manford Culbert) were brother and sister.

So what about the child of your second cousin? I'm glad you asked. Introducing Jeff Rowell, the son of my second cousin, Pat Rowell...


Jeff Rowell
Jeff is the son of my second cousin. He's one generation apart from being being my second cousin so that makes him my ....

Try to guess.

A round of applause for those who've figured it out. 
 

Jeff Rowell is my second cousin, once removed. "Once removed" means there is a difference of one generation separating us. If you've been reading the Culbert Family History blog since the beginning, you already know about first cousins, once removed.

So now you know! Go forth and impress your friends with your new-found knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment