Saturday 30 January 2021

Effie Culbert's Buttermilk Jug

 In an earlier post, I asked readers of the Culbert Family History blog to submit photos of an item that has been passed down to them from a previous generation.

Phillip Myron “Phil” Culbert of Vernon, British Columbia sent these photos of his grandmother Culbert’s buttermilk jug.


Phil’s grandmother was Effie Pearl (Taylor) Culbert of Lucan, Ontario, Canada; the wife of Myron Manford Culbert, and mother of six boys including Phil’s father, Ivan Hector Culbert.


Phil's grandparents, Effie and Myron Culbert in their home on Alice Street (at the corner of the Saintsbury Line) in Lucan, Ontario. They moved there from Poplar Farm in their retirement years.

Here’s what Phil says about the jug:

Whenever we visited Grandpa and Grandma (Myron and Effie Culbert) in Lucan in the 1950’s, the first thing my Dad (Ivan) would do is open the refrigerator. Dad would pour a big glass of homemade buttermilk from Grandma’s special jug. 

When Grandpa Culbert passed away in 1961, this was the one item that my Dad wanted, as it was very special to him as a reminder of his mother. In later years, Dad gave the jug to me. I've had it for over 50 years now as I brought it with me when I moved to Vancouver, British Columbia from London, Ontario in 1971.

The jug looks like it was hand-painted as you can see the brush strokes. On the bottom, it has a stamp showing that it was made in Germany, and it shows the initials of the manufacturer.

There used to be a lid for it however it has since been lost to time.

Note from the blog author: If anyone else would like to submit a photo of an heirloom that's been passed down to them, please contact me at this email address:

2 comments:

  1. I remember buying buttermilk for Bompa (Ivan) when he came for dinner. He loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is often small items that linger in our memory that are the most meaningful because they are connected to people we love and so priceless. They carry a history and story all their own.
    I really enjoyed reading about the Culbert Buttermilk Jug.
    Judy Luker Massey

    ReplyDelete